Skip to main content

Sept 21st-25th

 Spelling Test: Numbers to Ten

We will be taking a pause from spelling the First 300 High Frequency to focus on spelling numerals as it is required in our math curriculum. Our spelling test will be next Friday. During the week please practice reading, writing and nicely printing these words. The words this week are:

one
two
three
four
five
six
seven
eight
nine
ten

Phonics- Digraphs Review

-We reviewed that a consonant digraph is when two consonants come together to make one sound.  
-We reviewed the digraphs ck, sh, th and ch
-CK spells /k/ at the end of a word after a short voewl (i.e. duck)
-SH spells /sh/ and it can come at the beginning or ending of a word
-TH has two sounds.  The unvoiced Th spells /th/ like at the beginning of the word thumb.  The unvoiced /th/ can come at the beginning or end of a word.  The voiced TH spells /th/ like at the beginning of the word this.  Voiced /th/ can only come at teh beginning of a word
-CH spells /ch/ like at the beginning of the word chicken.  CH can come at the beginning or ending of a word



The Scientific Method

-We learned the steps scientists use when they investigate.
-Just like when cooking or baking, Scientists also follow steps like a recipe when they do experiments. 
-The steps that scientists follow is called the Scientific Method


Terry Fox Run

-We did the Terry Fox Run this week!
-We then wrote about how it made us feel
-Some of the things that we said and wrote about were:
"I ran fast and I felt happy when I ran because I was with my friends."
"I ran 8 laps.  I felt happy because I did a lot of laps."
"I ran 7 laps and I was tired."
"I ran 6 laps and I felt courageous inside because I felt good after."
"I ran for Terry Fox."
"I ran 9 laps.  I felt amazing because it was a lot of fun."







Math Carpet

-We have been talking about all of the number patterns that we can find on a 100s chart.  
-We have also been working in our colour groups to time how fast we can work as a team to put all of the numbers from 1-100 on the chart in the correct order
-We then record our time on the board to try and beat it next week



Representing Number

- In math we are learning different ways to represent number
- We have explored recording numbers with numerals and words
- We started looking at place value and representing number using base ten blocks


Observing and Recording Data

-We continue to practice how we can make careful observations and record data in a chart. 
-We are learning about why it's important to record data during an investigation.
-We observed 4 different ice cubes to see if adding salt changes how they melt.
-We reviewed the scientific method for this experiment
-Be sure to ask your child which ice cube melted the fastest and why (ice cube with 2 tsp. of salt in the sun, ice cube with 1 tsp. of salt in the sun, ice cube with no salt in the sun and ice cube with no salt or sun)




Library and Spelling Tests

- When we do not have school on Fridays, our spelling test and our library book exchange will both be on the Thursday
- Please help your child remember their library books and help them be prepared for the spelling words


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

September 8 - 11

  Visual Journals - We are asking families to please send in items to decorate and personalize the covers of our visual journals. These can be things like photos, stickers, printed images, pictures from books or magazines, or basically anything flat that can be glue onto the cover. Please send in a collection of items by next Friday, the 18th of September, as we will be working on the covers that day Thank you so much for supporting your child and our classroom community! Home Reading -Look out for your child's RED home reading duotang that came home on Friday.   -You will find decodables that accompany the skills your child is working on in class.  Please have your child explain the concept they studied this week, and have them read the passage to you.  As you read together you can help your child by asking them questions to check their comprehension.   -You will also find a second comprehension sheet and their spelling test from that week -Please ret...

Sept 14th-18th

High Frequency Words We will be working on spelling the First 300 High Frequency words with a spelling test each Friday. During the week please practice reading, writing and nicely printing these words. The words this week are: he was for on are as with his they I Phonics - FLSZ Rule & -all.-oll,-ull - When we hear /f/,/l/,/s/ or /z/ at the end of a word after a short vowel sound, we use double letters, or the same letter two times, to spell that sound.  - We also learned that when -ll comes after the vowels A,O and U the ll changes the vowel sound - Please check your child's red folder this weekend and read the decodables we practiced this week - If your child did not draw, or finish, their picture you could encourage them to do so Best Guess Spelling -We have been practicing using our 'best guess spelling' when we are writing sentences -We draw a line for every syllable that we hear and then write down the sounds that we hear -We make sure to remember that each syllab...